Making a mock up is a great way of checking if the lasts you’re using will help achieve making shoes that properly fit you.
In this tutorial, I’ll be making a mock up for a ballerina flat, but you can do this with any style of shoe! Just note that you will need to use the appropriate last and pattern ;) Just one thing to point out before I continue, I’m creating a mock up for just one shoe and I won’t be adding any lining to my upper, as it’s just a mock up, It can be pretty rough!
What you’ll need:
- Printed out ballet flat pattern (download this FREE pattern here) I just used one pattern for the left foot
- 1x flat last (I just used the left foot)
- Insole board cut to the shape of the last bottom pattern (watch how to create a last bottom pattern here)
- Foam cut to the shape of the last bottom pattern
- 1x toe puff (optional)
- 1x counter stiffener (optional)
- Water based glue
Step by step process:
- Trace your pattern on your material of choice and cut out.
- Stitch together the back seam 5mm away from the edge and open up using the glue and spatula.
- Tape the insole to the bottom of the last then place the upper over the last.
- Flip the last upside down and add a spatula width of glue round the edge of the bottom of the insole as well as round the inside edge of the upper. Leave to dry for a few mins.
- Flip the last back over and last the upper by stretching the leather over the edges, securing it to the bottom of the insole.
- Remove any tape and add the stiffeners over the top of the upper.
- Remove the last and insert the foam
Et voila! You can try the mock up to see if your last fits. If you find that your mock up does not fit you properly, you may need to consider changing the size of your lasts or making adjustments to the lasts that you have.
learn shoemaking for yourself
I created a free 40-minute online course called 'Introduction to Shoemaking' to show how easy home shoemaking can be and to give you a little taste of what I Can Make Shoes is all about.
SIGN UP HERE for instant access.
If you are wanting to dive a little deeper into the world of home shoemaking, my online Footwear Masterclass is one of the most popular shoemaking courses in the world!! 🌍 (Casual brag! lol) The course covers how to make shoes from scratch including heels, flats, boots, sneakers, sandals, and more. The thing that really sets this course apart from others is that it's specifically designed for total beginners and requires very little in the way of tools & equipment, there's even a bonus module on how to start your own shoe brand.
To make getting started even easier, the course comes with a FREE Shoemaking Starter Kit, delivered to your door, anywhere in the world! 🌍
We are a tight community and regularly limit our intake to ensure the best experience for our students - so if our enrolment is closed I would recommend you sign up for our FREE Introduction to Shoemaking course while you wait.
Pssssssst.... If you want to have a look at the shoes our students have been making, give us a follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/icanmake_shoes/