10 Day Footwear Masterclass Program – New York
*We currently do not have any courses scheduled in New York for 2020 and plan to schedule in courses from 2021.
Over this 10-day intensive footwear course, the students will design and make a collection of 4 – 8 pairs of shoes.
Students will learn how to create a cohesive collection that showcases a strong design direction as well as covering important making techniques required for different styles of shoes.
For students who are planning on starting their own shoe brands, we will spend some time discussing business and strategy as well as learning practical shoemaking skills.
Students will also be awarded a 1-hour free business mentoring session with Amanda Overs, Course Founder – This time is best used after the course is completed to really plan out how you are going to build your designs into a profitable business.
See below for a full course breakdown.
10 days: Monday - Friday, 10am - 5pm.
Want some more info?
- Footwear Components
- Moodboards + Design Direction
- How to choose the best materials for your designs
- Collection assessment and design refinement
- Pattern-Making begins
- Open Discussion: PCP (Perfect Customer Profiles)
- Pattern Making continued for the full collection (This is one of the most important aspects of footwear design, especially when dealing with factories).
- Construction of uppers
- Preparation of insoles
- Open Discussion: Types of footwear businesses & brands
- Construction of uppers continued
- Preparation of insoles continued
- Lasting Lining for 2 - 4 pairs
- Open Discussion: Footwear Factories + Procedures
- Stiffeners for 2 - 4 pairs
- Lasting Uppers for 2 - 4 pairs
- Covering heels or preparing soles
- Open Discussion: Q & A
- Attaching soles and heels for 2 - 4 pairs
- Insole socks and memory foam insoles for 2 - 4 pairs
- Finishing touches on 2 - 4 pairs
- Individual Discussions: Review of optional weekend homework tasks
- Repeat all shoemaking steps for additional 2 - 4 pairs of shoes or boots
- Daily Open Discussion Topics: Made relevant to each course student
- Open Discussion Topics
- Footwear terminology
- 3D Design
- Pattern making
- Footwear materials and supplies
- Choosing the best leathers for your design
- Factory procedures
- Sales strategies
- A certificate of completion and letter of recommendation
- A one-hour mentoring session with footwear consultant and course founder, Amanda Overs.
- A free copy of the new I Can Make Shoes hardback book, 'How to start your own shoe brand'.
- Templates for: Factory Spec Sheets, Range Sheets, PCP worksheets, Design Templates and more.